Tuesday 26 July 2011

Whole Wheat Eggless Butter Cookies

My daughter now goes to play school and packing snacks for her everyday is a challenge. She hardly eats breakfast so her snack box, has to have healthy and tasty choices, and they should be quick eats, to fill her palette. So I bake a batch of cookies every weekend to last for the following week.

I usually bake one Nankhatai type and another cookie type every weekend.

For the Nankhatai, I have some choices and keep switching between them. I have baked the eggless butter cookie with All-purpose flour. You can find that post here. But this time I tried the Whole wheat Eggless butter cookies recipe, that I came across on Divya's blog.

Ingredients:
Whole Wheat Flour/Atta - 1 cup
Powdered Sugar  - 1/2 cup
Unsalted Butter - 1/2 cup
Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp (Omit if using salted butter)

Method:
Preheat oven to 150 degrees C.
In a bowl mix the flour, sugar, cardamom powder and salt well.
Add butter and start kneading lightly until you get a smooth dough.
If the dough is crumbly you could add a teaspoon of ghee or melted butter.
I find that adding milk, to soften the dough makes the cookies harder, so I add butter/ghee to knead the dough.
Also kneading the dough too much makes cookies harder.
Make small balls of the dough and flatten a little with the palm of the hand.
Place the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet, about an inch apart.
Bake for 15-18 minutes or till the cookies turn golden brown.
Let the cookies cool on the baking tray for about 5 minutes and then transfer to the wire rack.
Store in an airtight container.
Makes about 20 cookies.

Verdict: Awesome wheatish, cardomomy, sweet and buttery :). My little girl simply loved it.


priya's signature image at photobucket

No comments: