Tuesday 28 June 2011

Eggless Butter cookies

I am sure all of us remember the butter biscuits from the bakery. They are also called egg-biscuits due to the strong eggy flavour and smell. But they are such a melt in the mouth snack, that I would consume large quantities of it in one go. I came across this recipe for the eggless version on Anshruti's blog. Her photography and presentation skills are simply awesome. Please do not compare my version of the cookies to hers :)
I made some changes to the flavour and the oven settings.
Here are the changes I made to the recipe:
Ingredients:
3/4 cup plain flour
2 tbsp cornflour (I used vanilla custard powder)
1/2 cup icing sugar (I pulsed 1 cup of granulated sugar with 2.5 tbsp of cornflour for 30 seconds, and scooped
out 1/2 cup from there)
1/2 cup butter
2 tbsp milk (I added only 1.5 tbsp)
1 tsp vanilla extract (I used pineapple extract)
Method:
Sieve the flour and the cornflour together into a bowl.
In another bowl mix in the butter and the sugar with a fork until smooth and creamy.
Put in the flour mixture, vanilla/pineaple extract and mix until smooth and there are no lumps. Add 1/2 tbsp of milk at a time to make the mixture creamy. Stop when you reach the right consistency.
Pre heat the oven to 170 degrees centigrade.
Put the entire mixture into a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe into swirls on a lightly greased baking tin or a tin lined with baking parchment. Alternatively make small balls, flatten lightly with your palms and bake.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the cookies turn golden brown at the edges. 



Verdict: The cookies turn out with a perfect melt-in-the mouth texture. This one is truly a hit with folks at home. and I see myself  baking this often with variations :).
  
priya's signature image at photobucket

1 comment:

Vidhya said...

Cookies look so delectable.