Sunday 14 August 2011

August Punch - Banana-Mango Muffins





The recipe chosen for August Punch was Strawberry-Banana Muffins from JoyofBaking.com. I love strawberries and the idea of baking with those juicy red fruits was too tempting and I earnestly tried getting strawberries, during my weekly visit to the supermarket, throughout the month. I came across Plums, Figs and Dates but no strawberries. I was disappointed and so I finally decided to bake these muffins, substituting mango for strawberry. Since the lone mango left for my baking this weekend, turned out to be too ripe, I decided to mash it instead of dicing it.


Here is the recipe adapted from joyofbaking.com:



1/2 cup (1 stick) (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon (4 grams) pure vanilla extract

2 large ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)

1 large ripe mango, masted (about 3/4 cup)

1 cup - wheat flour

1 1/4 cups - all-purpose flour

3/4 cup (160 grams) sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon (4 grams) ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon (2.5 grams) salt
1/4 cup - milk

Method:

 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (170 degrees C). 
Line muffin cups paper liners or lightly butter or spray the muffin cups with a vegetable spray. I used silicone cupcake moulds and hence I did not grease the cups. With my cupcake moulds, this recipe makes around 18 muffins.

In a small saucepan melt the butter. Let cool to room temperature.

In a medium sized bowl whisk together the eggs, vanilla extract and mashed banana and mango. Add the melted butter and stir to combine.  

In another large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are just combined. Do not over mix the batter or tough muffins will result. The batter was too thick and hence I added 1/4 cup milk. The original recipe does not call for milk in this recipe.

Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups, using two spoons or an ice cream scoop. Place in the oven and bake until a tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 15-18 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Can be stored for a few days at room temperature.

Verdict: My daughter ate one whole muffin fresh from the oven as it was cooling down. So this recipe gets a thumbs-up :), but I definitely want to try it with strawberries once.
priya's signature image at photobucket 

3 comments:

Bharathy said...

Happy that you came with the post :)
I got fed up searching for the fruit too,not wanting a substitution, but somehow whipped up the last moment with the dried ones..

Saw somewhere, strawberry preserve being used too..

muffins look 'cakey' and moist, just the way i love! :)

cheers, priya!

Archana said...

Looks very yummy.Like you I am waiting for the strawberries to turn up.

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Absolutely perfect ..love the texture priya.