Monday 28 January 2013

Spinach-corn Cutlet

How many of you remember the adorable Zoo-Zoos, the cute Vodafone characters of 2009? Check out this video if you wish to have a good laugh :).I particularly remember the "daily prayers" when two of them are hanging from a tree off the cliff. I showed this video to my daughter a few days back. She was particularly struck by the zoo's caretaker leaving the crocodile's plate of food and carefully leaving only for the phone to ring, leading him to possibly getting caught by the crocodile. She was curious as to what the green bite sized pieces the crocodile was being fed. I jokingly told her that it is green cutlet and wham, she wanted to taste green cutlets. So the following weekend, off I went to buy some corn and spinach and make some "Green cutlet" for my little girl.

I had read about spinach-corn cutlets in the blogging world, but I had not tried them myself. I was used to making the vegetable cutlet, so often I had not tried any other variations. I am yet to post that recipe here. Since this turned out good, I clicked a few pictures and decided to post it.


Ingredients:
Spinach (Palak) - 1 bunch
Corn - 1 kernel
Garlic - 1 tsp
Green chili - 1
Cumin - 1/2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Potato - 2 medium sized
Bread crumbs - 1/2 cup
Oil - for shallow frying
Method:

Boil the potatoes and keep aside. Boil corn kernel, shell it fully and keep aside. Wash and clean the spinach well. Drain the excess water and chop the spinach finely, including the stalks. Mash the potatoes and add the corn and palak. Make a coarse paste with these three ingredients. Add the spices and mix it well into the paste. Make lemon sized balls of the mix and roll them into the bread crumbs. Flatten the balls slightly and shape them.
Heat oil in a frying pan. Place the cutlets and shallow fry them for a few minutes on each side. Alternately they can be baked in a pre-heated oven (200 degrees C) in grill mode for 15-17 minutes.

Serve hot with chutney or tomato sauce.


Verdict: The cutlets are mildly spiced and taste great as an evening snack or starter. They are very healthy too owing to the spinach and corn and minimal use of oil.

priya's signature image at photobucket

2 comments:

Swathi said...

Delicious spinach corn cutlet I love it.

Priya Kumar said...

Thank you Swathi!